Sun 06
Glebe Pumas
Under 15 Boys
L Jones (15'), (18'), (28' Pen), (71'), F Maswera (61'), F Sturgeon (75'), J Archard (80')
Oaks Win Hard Fought Encounter

Oaks Win Hard Fought Encounter

By Mike Way
Share via

Impressive scoreline belies tough game

Report by Claire Bull

Oakwood travelled to Chislehurst to play Glebe FC. The rain held off to give way to an eventful and challenging game.

The opposition, wearing Oakwood’s home colours of red & black stripes, went off hard from the start. The reds won a corner which was well blocked by Ashton MacLeod and, with Oakwood still trying to get to grips with the game, a mistimed tackle gave away a penalty to Glebe resulting in the first goal of the game and a 1-0 advantage to the reds after 5 minutes.

It was clear that Glebe looked a strong outfit. Takunda Musendo took on the fight with a fierce ball down the line to Liam Jones which enticed the Glebe goalkeeper to race off his line and out of the box to attempt an interception. A quick-thinking Liam beat him to the ball and took full advantage firing the ball firmly in to the back of the net allowing the blues their first goal of the match equalising with Glebe.

A re-energised Oakwood kicked into second gear. James Archard made a lightning run down the wing and a finely tuned cross to Liam handed both the blues and Liam their second goal.

The reds decided to react with strength but a fierce tackle gave the game it’s second penalty, this time in favour of Oakwood. Liam stepped up and gained a hat-trick. 1-3 Oakwood.

It was by no means one-way traffic and Glebe came back fighting with a fine shot at goal. A brave decision from Goalkeeper George Edgley and the defensive skills of Nathaniel Dryden prevented the blues conceding a goal.

The second half saw the Reds come out for battle and immediately win a free kick and produce an excellent ball in by Glebe but they could not get a head on it. The pace quickened and the blue midfield went with it. A cross from Liam to Fry Maswera saw Fry give the blues a comfortable 1-4 lead. The momentum continued and Liam gave Oakwood their 5th goal.

In what continued to be a physical game saw a battle between the blue defence and the red striker. The third penalty of the game was awarded to the reds but this time they could not capitalise and the score remained the same.

Glebe never gave up and their tenacity and skill resulted in George having to make a courageous double save. Not wanting to waste time the blues made sure the ball went back up the pitch, where an assist by Liam gave Finley Sturgeon the opportunity to hand Oakwood their 6th goal and, with five minutes remaining Liam was withdrawn to the ovation and Player of the Match award that 4 goals and 2 assists thoroughly deserved.

With 2 minutes to go until full time, James stormed his way through the reds to score the 7th and final goal for Oakwood. 1-7 to Oakwood, a flattering scoreline, given the fearless fight and fine play from Glebe FC, who we wish well for the rest of the season.

We now turn our attention to Sussex FA Cup action next weekend, away at Hastings, in what will be a tough encounter against last season’s Cup winners.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sun 06, Oct 2019



Meet time



Meet at Natwest no later than 11:00.
Meet at the venue no later than 12:00.
Please wear AWAY (Blue/Black) kit.
Liam Jones

Player of the match

Liam Jones